Proper care of your child’s feet can go a long way in preventing issues as they age. Also, beginning a routine foot care regimen will help children continue this process for themselves. Washing the child’s feet daily is the first recommended habit. Once clean, they should be dried well, and a small amount of baby powder can be applied. When they are old enough to walk outdoors, buying shoes that are of quality and fit properly is imperative. Children’s feet grow fast so it is necessary to make sure their shoes do not get too tight to avoid damage to their feet. Using socks that are also the right size and made of wool or cotton are best since they will allow your child’s feet to be warm while giving them room to develop. A child’s toenails should be cut straight across and filed to smooth edges to prevent ingrown toenails. Lastly, allow children to go barefoot indoors, as their feet will develop best and gain strength when they are not restricted. If you have questions about how to best care for your children’s feet, or if issues with their feet arise, see a podiatrist, who is an expert in this area.
The health of a child’s feet is vital to their overall well-being. If you have any questions regarding foot health, contact the foot specialists of NYC Foot & Ankle Center. Our doctors can provide the care you need to keep you pain-free and on your feet.
Tips for Keeping Children’s Feet Healthy
- Make sure their shoes fit properly
- Look for any signs of in-toeing or out-toeing
- Check to see if they have Clubfoot (condition that affects your child’s foot and ankle, twisting the heel and toes inward) which is one of the most common nonmajor birth defects.
- Lightly cover your baby’s feet (Tight covers may keep your baby from moving their feet freely, and could prevent normal development)
- Allow your toddler to go shoeless (Shoes can be restricting for a young child’s foot)
- Cut toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Keep your child’s foot clean and dry
- Cover cuts and scrapes. Wash any scratches with soap and water and cover them with a bandage until they’ve healed.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office located in New York . We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.